Penryn is one of Cornwall’s oldest towns, receiving its first charter in 1236.
The beautiful granite Town Hall was originally known as the Market House and is one of the most recognisable landmarks in Penryn. It is thought that some of the stone from the historic ecclesiastical Glasney College was used in its construction. The clock tower was added in 1839.
The main hall is a beautiful spacious and airy space which seats a maximum of 80 guests, and the Council Chamber, soon to be refurbished, is also available for smaller weddings seating 30 guests. There are modern kitchen facilities for catering purposes just off the back of the Hall and toilet facilities including disabled. The clock tower creates a wonderful backdrop for photographs. The main hall was once used as a magistrates court and has a raised platform at one end which is perfect for seating musicians or indeed for holding the ceremony itself.
The hire price includes the day before the ceremony to decorate the hall and we are always excited to see the ingenious ways in which our brides turn the hall into their own vision of the perfect wedding venue. We have had everything from wild spring flowers in empty dog food cans, to vintage bunting for that retro look, and fully dressed chairs with covers and bows for a more traditional affair.
Penryn Town Hall is an approved premises as a venue for marriages under the Marriage Act 1949 and as a venue for Civil Partnerships under the Civil Partnership Act 2004. In addition to this, it is also licenced for other Civil ceremonies such as naming ceremonies and the renewal of Civil marriage vows.
The cost for the hire of the Town Hall is £360.00, which includes the day prior to the ceremony to allow for setting up and decorating the hall. In order to reserve the date for your ceremony we require a non-returnable deposit of £150.00 with the balance to be paid at least seven days prior to the ceremony.